Haven’t we all experienced an unpleasant week every once in a while because of a blocked nose or a sore throat? It can get really frustrating to deal with and can affect your immune system, leading to fever and more.
With changing weather, many of us will begin to catch a cold, and if time has taught us anything, it is in our best interest not to ignore even something as common as a cold or flu to stay healthy.
There isn’t much that can be done to avoid the common cold, but there is a magical box of Indian herbs and spices that can help you fight the common cold and boost your immune system. Spices that have been an integral part of Ayurveda are few of the best home remedies to beat cold, cough and flu symptoms. Sublime lists some of the most useful herbs and spices, easily found in your kitchen. Buy these tea blends and Indian spices online, and stock up your kitchen to beat the cold and flu.
1. Basil: It is known to boost your immunity and is helpful in reducing inflammation. It is generally a summer plant that grows in most balcony gardens and can be consumed raw or added to your food. Consuming basil leaves reduces symptoms of cough, cold, and flu. Use it as a garnish on salads, soups, and even dals, opt from the existing recipes or brew one of your own, you cannot go wrong with basil. Add a few freshly harvested leaves to your daily cup of the Masala Chai from Sublime to beat the blues.
2. Spearmint: A mild variant of mint, these leaves have been proved to have healing effects and is a great remedy for the common cold. Used in aromatherapy, the oil extracted from spearmint is used for mind and body rejuvenation, and as a treatment for respiratory conditions ranging from a common cold to acute bronchitis. Chewing a few spearmint leaves every day can be highly beneficial for your oral health and help regulate your body temperature. To draw the same benefits, you could also brew yourself a fresh cup of Moroccan Mint from Sublime, every day.
3. Ginger: A hot spice consumed both, raw and dry, Ginger is an ingredient known to induce sweat, and help release toxins from the body. It helps build immunity and regulate body temperature, along with being highly effective when fighting the symptoms of the flu, or breaking a fever. Used as an essential spice in many Indian recipes, ginger can also be added to your cup of tea as a home remedy for a cold or cough. Consuming a cup of Cleansing Ginger by Sublime will prove to be more than just a refreshing start to your day, and help enhance your immunity.
4. Lemongrass: Another plant that grows in your kitchen garden, is the lemongrass. Rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C, it is the best aid in treating cough and symptoms of flu. The leaves are said to be extremely beneficial in fighting the symptoms of the common cold and flu. Traditionally added fresh to your cup of tea, lemongrass is a great add to your alternative medicines. In combination with the healthy hibiscus and refreshing rose petals, lemongrass in the Signature Blend of Sublime - Flower Fete Tea is a must try to garner the benefits.
5. Star anise: Star anise is a spice rich in antioxidants, and vitamins A and C. Known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties, Star Anise is used to provide relief from a sore throat and common cold. Add two pods of star anise into your tea, or brew a strong health potion (kadha) with Indian spices, and drink it twice a day to build resistance to cold. If you are looking for a tea blend that already has star anise and its health benefits, Kashmiri Kahwa by Sublime is a good place to start from.
6. Turmeric: We have all heard of the medicinal value of turmeric for several generations now, and have witnessed its goodness as well. The magical remedy for any illness or ailment would be a warm glass of turmeric milk just before bed. It would help boost your immunity and keep you safe from infections. Sublime brings to you the benefits of not one, but two miraculous spices in one tea blend – Saffron Turmeric.
7. Saffron: Authentic Kashmiri Saffron is more than just a food colouring spice. The small strands have packed within them many health benefits and is used in diverse industries, including skin care and pharma industries. When you are looking for instant relief from a particularly bad cold, just add a few strands of Kashmiri Saffron by Sublime, in a bowl of milk and apply the paste on your forehead.
8. Fenugreek: Fenugreek is a spice that has been traditionally used in medicines by the Egyptians, to help ease congestion as it is believed to be able to dissolve mucus in your lungs, throat and sinuses. Fenugreek is an essential spice in many Indian recipes and is extensively used in Ayurvedic treatments as well. Consuming one fenugreek laddoo everyday will help kill the viruses that cause sniffles and sore throats. Grab your pack of fresh fenugreek seeds from the online Sublime store today!
9. Black pepper: Black Pepper is a hot spice that is commonly used to warm you up and keep you protected from the symptoms of common cold and flu. A hot spice, black pepper can be used to reduce congestion and prevent a runny nose. You could add black pepper to the special medicinal potion (kadha) along with ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, basil and other herbs and spices or simply drink up a rasam of black pepper. Black pepper has various antioxidants that accelerate your metabolism, and helps fight antibodies. Buy online the choicest black peppers from Sublime.
10. Cloves: Filled with anti-inflammatory properties, and rich in antioxidants, cloves are a natural antiseptic. A staple in ayurvedic medicine, cloves are the dried flower buds with a distinct aroma and strong flavours. Cloves in tea, or as a spice in your daily food, is great for your blocked sinus and sore throat. Adding clove oil to warm water and inhaling the steam will help reduce chest congestion and fight cold. Buy fresh cloves online from Sublime, and use them in salad dressings or desserts for taste and health.
11. Honey: A bonus! Natural and unadulterated honey is consumed to get rid of dry cough. The antibacterial properties of Honey, help in soothing the irritation and dryness in your throat, and is a great home remedy for sore throat, and dry cough. One spoon of pure honey a day can keep illness at bay. Buy online, your favourite Honey at Sublime, and start your journey towards health.
The weather change has gotten many of us suffering from common cold and flu like symptoms, but we don’t have to look further than our kitchen to beat the cold. The spices in our kitchen have multiple health benefits and can be healing to a large extent. Shop for these beneficial Indian spices online, or from our stores, and begin your journey towards health.