Saffron is one magical spice that has been used for its exceptional properties for the longest time. It has been used for its many medicinal properties. It is among the costliest spices worldwide and is extracted from an exotic flower - Crocus sativus, which is cultivated in Europe and Asia and commonly found in the Northern parts of India.
The extensive process of extracting saffron stands from the exotic flower by hand makes it a laborious task. Only three to four strands of the stamen are extracted and left to dry out completely to make saffron. The tedious process makes it a rare and expensive spice. Besides its lasting aroma, saffron is proven to have a wide range of benefits for the skin. Applying saffron face packs for flawless skin is certainly the best bet.
Saffron is said to have been used by queens in their daily skincare routine to maintain a royal glow, the most popular of them is Cleopatra, whose skincare routine included bath in saffron milk as well. Saffron allows your skin to stay hydrated and moisturised, reduces inflammation and irritation, protects against harmful UV rays, and gives you younger-looking, hydrated, and glowing skin.
Today, we have curated some of the most well-known and popularly practised skincare routines and DIY face packs using saffron, to give you that royal glow. Let’s get started.
- DIY saffron mask to avoid acne
- This particular mask is fairly easy to prepare and doesn’t require much preparation as well. The anti-inflammatory properties of saffron is a good remedy for acne-prone skin.
- Soak 3 to 4 saffron strands in a quarter cup of milk and let the milk infuse with saffron for about 2 hours.
- Apply this milk onto your face and neck, and massage for a while. Let it settle for about 10-15 minutes, then wash it off.
- Apply this mask on alternate days for clear skin and also better complexion.
Don't try this remedy if you are allergic to dairy. It may aggravate your acne.
- Get rid of dry skin with a mask of saffron and milk powder
- Use milk powder to reap all the nutritional benefits of highly concentrated milk. Get rid of the dry skin and lock the moisture within, with saffron and milk powder.
- Add 2 tablespoon milk powder in a quarter cup of water. Add 4-5 saffron strands to this and mix well. Apply this paste on your face and let it settle for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the face pack off with plain water, and apply the pack twice a week and notice a visible difference.
Do not use this remedy if you are allergic to dairy products.
- DIY pack of saffron and sandalwood
- Both, Sandalwood, and Saffron are proven to be extremely beneficial for your skin, and mixing the two gives you the best of both and flawless skin.
- Mix well tablespoon of Sandalwood powder and 2-3 strands of authentic saffron, with 2 teaspoons of raw milk.
- Apply the paste on your freshly washed face, and spread the pack evenly all over your face.
- Massage your face in a circular motion for some time, while the pack is still damp. Now let the pack settle and dry for 20 minutes, and rinse with cold water.
- Using this pack once a week ensures smooth and radiant skin.
In case of an allergy to dairy products, use rose water.
- A miraculous mask of saffron and sunflower seeds
- The vitamin E content in sunflower seeds is beneficial for your skin. Add that with some and get radiating skin.
- Soak 3 to 4 sunflower seeds and 2 to 3 strands of saffron in a quarter cup of milk overnight.
- Grind this mixture in the morning and apply the paste on your face. Let it dry before rinsing your face.
- Use this face pack twice a week for best results.
If your skin is sensitive to dairy, use rose water instead.
- Get that special glow back with saffron and olive oil
- What has not been discussed about the benefits of olive oil already? Combining the goodness of saffron and olive oil into a face pack will ensure you get a radiating glow on your skin.
- Thoroughly mix 3 or 4 strands of saffron in a tablespoon of olive oil, and apply it on your face.
- Massage thoroughly the oil in upward motions, and let it settle for around an hour.
- Wipe off the excess oil using a wet tissue. If you wish to, you can leave the oil overnight as well.
- Massaging saffron-infused oil will improve circulation, helps the skin absorb healthy fatty acids from the oil and gives your skin a brilliant glow. Repeat this on alternate nights for best results.
You can also replace olive oil with either Coconut oil, almond oil, or sesame oil.
- Saffron and honey pack for spotless skin
- Honey and saffron face pack helps reduce scars, blemishes and dark spots on your face. The antioxidant properties of the saffron and honey combined can work as a miracle.
- Mix 3 to 4 saffron strands in a tablespoon of honey, and massage it on your face using an upward circular motion.
- Allow your skin to absorb the saffron-honey mixture for a few minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. The antioxidants in honey help reduce blemishes, dark spots and scars.
- Apply this once every 2-3 days helps to lock in the moisture.
- A face pack of saffron and almonds helps retain moisture
- Almonds help naturally enhance your skin tone and maintain a moisture balance.
- Soak the 4 to 5 almonds and around 10 strands of saffron in water at night, and grind everything into a smooth paste the next day.
- Apply the face pack and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Apply the pack twice a week to see visible difference.
How to choose authentic Saffron?
Once, saffron was widely cultivated only in Iran, India, and Greece. Its multiple benefits for the skin and natural medicinal properties made it a base ingredient in many commercial beauty creams as well. Being one of the most expensive spices in the world, the market is filled with adulterated and contaminated saffron, which can prove to be more harmful than they are beneficial. These duplicate products can trigger allergic reactions as well, hence it is extremely important to ensure that you get only pure and authentic saffron.
Some tips to know about pure saffron is that it takes at least 10 to 15 minutes to steep in either warm water or milk before its colour permeates into the liquid, and the aroma begins to develop. Buying saffron from Sublime also ensures that you are delivered pure and authentic saffron (Kesar) from the indigenous valleys of Kashmir, directly sourced from the growers in small batches, to ensure the longer shelf life of this king of spices.